12 New Year’s Resolutions for Pet Owners
December 17, 2011NEPTUNE CITY, NJ – It’s a new year and with it comes resolutions. The makers of Nylabone®, the leaders in responsible pet care for over 50 years, suggest pet parents take advantage of the flipping of the calendar to renew their commitments to their pets with these 12 resolutions for 2012.
1. I will spend an extra half hour each day with my pet. We all crave attention and pets are no different. Commit to an extra 30 minutes of petting, playing, or talking to your pet.
2. I will teach my pet good manners. Just like our other “children,” pets need to know proper behavior, which not only makes them more enjoyable to be around, but could save their lives.
3. I will give my pet necessary exercise. You’re not the only one who needs to keep physically fit, so get your pet moving each day! How about a game of fetch with one of Nylabone’s DuraTM Toys?
4. I will take my pet to the vet at least once a year. Fluffy may not like going to the doctor, but each year make a pet wellness appointment.
5. I will perform necessary flea and tick prevention. Fleas and ticks carry disease. Commit to giving your pet the correct dosage (usually based on weight) at vet-approved intervals.
6. I will give my pets all necessary vaccinations to keep them healthy. That includes rabies, even for my indoor cat.
7. I will not leave dangerous plants around for my pet to eat. Houseplants may seem harmless, but many are poisonous when ingested. Know which plants can cause sickness (like amaryllis and philodendron) and keep them out of Fido’s reach. (Ditto for cleaning products, fertilizers and chemicals.)
8. I will give my pet all the tools he or she needs to stop destructive habits. The number one reason dogs end up in shelters is destructive chewing. Keep both you and your pooch happy by supplying “approved chewables” like Nylabone’s Dura Chew® bones or Made-in-the-USA-Rawhide.
9. I will ID my pets. Even if they aren’t supposed to leave the house, sometime pets slip out an open door unnoticed. All pets should have microchips or collars and tags with your name and phone number.
10. I will feed my pet the correct amount of the correct food. That means the proper quantity of healthy, vet-recommended cat food for cats, dog food for dogs, and people food for neither!
11. I will help my pet maintain good dental health. “Dog Breath” – that nasty scent you smell when your dog jumps up to give you a kiss – is usually caused by poor dental health and can be a sign of serious health risks. That’s why the makers of Nylabone® encouraging pet parents to practice good doggie dental hygiene by giving dogs age- and size-appropriate chews that protect from tooth breakage and clean the dog’s teeth as he chews.
12. Though I may forget my personal resolutions by mid-January, I commit to keeping these resolutions for the health, happiness and longevity of my pets.
About Nylabone® Products
Nylabone® Products is a respected producer of premium dog products, and the Leader in Responsible Pet Care for Over 50 Years®. Nylabone is a division of T.F.H. Publications, Inc., the world’s most distinguished publisher of high-quality care and training books for pets, and a founding member of the American Pet Products Manufacturing Association (APPMA). Nylabone is recognized for its excellence, quality, innovation and leadership in today’s pet industry. Its patented and patent-pending products are frequently industry award-winners. T.F.H./Nylabone is a subsidiary of Central Garden & Pet Company. For more information, visit www.nylabone.com.
About Central Garden & Pet Company
Central Garden & Pet Company (Nasdaq: CENT) is a leading innovator, marketer and producer of quality branded products for the pet and lawn and garden supplies markets. Committed to new product innovation, its products are sold to specialty independent and mass retailers in the following categories: Lawn and Garden – Grass seed including the brands Pennington and the Rebels; wildbird feed and the brands Pennington and Kaytee; weed and insect control and the brands AMDRO, Sevin, Ironite, and Over ’N Out; and decorative outdoor patio products and the brands Norcal, New England Pottery and Matthews Four Seasons. It also provides a host of regional and application-specific garden brands and supplies.
Pet – Animal health and the brands Adams and Zodiac; aquatics and reptile and the brands Oceanic, Aqueon and Zilla; bird and small animal and the brands Kaytee, Super Pet, and CritterTrail; dog and cat and the brands T.F.H./Nylabone, Four Paws, Pinnacle and Avoderm; and equine and the brands Farnam, Bronco and Super Mask. It also provides a host of other applications-specific pet brands and supplies. Central Garden & Pet is based in Walnut Creek, Calif., and has approximately 5,000 employees, primarily in North America and Europe.
For additional information on Central Garden & Pet, including access to the company's SEC filings, please visit the company’s Web site at http://www.central.com.
“Safe Harbor” Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: The statements contained in this release which are not historical facts, including expected earnings guidance, are forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those set forth in or implied by forward-looking statements. These risks are described above and in the company’s annual report on Form 10-K and other Securities and Exchange Commission filings. Central undertakes no obligation to publicly update these forward-looking statements to reflect new information, subsequent events or otherwise.