Top Ten Holiday Pet Safety Tips
November 4, 2010NEPTUNE CITY, NJ – The makers of Nylabone®, the leaders in responsible animal care for over 50 years®, remind you that the holidays bring family, fun and faith…but they can also bring danger to pets. Here are Nylabone’s Top Ten Pet Safety Tips for the holiday season:
10. Chocolate-covered bon bons, fruit cake, candy and exotic coffees are great for pet parents, but not pets. Keep them safely packed away instead of putting them under the tree where your pooch can sniff them out in a second.
9. Low-hanging ornaments and decorations are calling puppy’s name! Keep them out of reach and avoid decorations like tinsel that can fall to the ground.
8. Poinsettias, holly and mistletoe may look festive, but they’ll upset your pet’s stomach and can be potentially fatal to dogs and cats. Keep decorative plants out of reach.
7. Be sure electric lights, plugs and bulbs are hidden where your pal can’t nibble or tug.
6. Ribbons and bows on wrapped presents add cheer, but there’s nothing merry about Fido eating your wrapping. So, make sure to throw away all trimmings and wrappings when opening gifts.
5. The water that keeps the tree fresh may be filled with sap, fertilizer or other chemicals. If you have a tree, make sure puppy can’t try to sip the water from the base by covering it with a decorative cloth or tree skirt.
4. A playful romp can turn tragic if your pooch bumps into a tree or other large decoration that is not secured. When decorating your house for the holidays, anchor decorations and trees to walls to prevent mishaps.
3. Glass ornaments are beautiful but if one should fall from the tree and break (especially when you’re not home) your pet may eat the broken slivers of glass or cut a paw. Opt for non-breakable ornaments.
2. If entertaining for the holidays, make sure your pet is safe and secure amongst the hustle and bustle. Assign a quiet “safe” room for the pets where they are out of harm’s way and feel comfortable with food and water.
1. The most common reason dogs end up in shelters is destructive chewing. So, keep pets occupied and away from the packages, bags, and bows by providing plenty of healthy and “approved” chew toys like Nylabone® Dura ChewsTM, Happy Time!TM Edible Chews and Triple Action Treat HoldersTM.
About Nylabone® Products
Nylabone® Products is a respected producer of premium dog products, and the Leader in Responsible Pet Care for Over 50 Years®. Nylabone is a division of T.F.H. Publications, Inc., the world’s most distinguished publisher of high-quality care and training books for pets, and a founding member of the American Pet Products Manufacturing Association (APPMA). Nylabone is recognized for its excellence, quality, innovation and leadership in today’s pet industry. Its patented and patent-pending products are frequently industry award-winners. T.F.H./Nylabone is a subsidiary of Central Garden & Pet Company. For more information, visit www.nylabone.com.
About Central Garden & Pet Company
Central Garden & Pet Company (Nasdaq: CENT) is a leading innovator, marketer and producer of quality branded products for the pet and lawn and garden supplies markets. Committed to new product innovation, its products are sold to specialty independent and mass retailers in the following categories: Lawn and Garden – Grass seed including the brands Pennington and the Rebels; wildbird feed and the brands Pennington and Kaytee; weed and insect control and the brands AMDRO, Sevin, Ironite, and Over ’N Out; and decorative outdoor patio products and the brands Norcal, New England Pottery and Matthews Four Seasons. It also provides a host of regional and application-specific garden brands and supplies.
Pet – Animal health and the brands Adams and Zodiac; aquatics and reptile and the brands Oceanic, Aqueon and Zilla; bird and small animal and the brands Kaytee, Super Pet, and CritterTrail; dog and cat and the brands T.F.H./Nylabone, Four Paws, Pinnacle and Avoderm; and equine and the brands Farnam, Bronco and Super Mask. It also provides a host of other applications-specific pet brands and supplies. Central Garden & Pet is based in Walnut Creek, Calif., and has approximately 5,000 employees, primarily in North America and Europe.
For additional information on Central Garden & Pet, including access to the company's SEC filings, please visit the company’s Web site at http://www.central.com.
“Safe Harbor” Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: The statements contained in this release which are not historical facts, including expected earnings guidance, are forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those set forth in or implied by forward-looking statements. These risks are described above and in the company’s annual report on Form 10-K and other Securities and Exchange Commission filings. Central undertakes no obligation to publicly update these forward-looking statements to reflect new information, subsequent events or otherwise.